Thursday, May 29, 2008

Overcoming Debt!

I talked in my last post a little about debt and we are united as a couple in eliminating it as a part of our family. We have a couple options as far as bringing in extra income to devote solely to debt reduction as we have succeded in budgeting my husbands income to pay all our monthly expenses. I have to admit that when DW bought the book 'Total money makeover' by Dave Ramsey and he started listening to some of his cd's, I was scared. I don't know why I should be scared when he is taking his freetime and researching options for our family to become financially free and be able to enjoy our future together with less stress and more options. I realize I have gotten myself into numerous bad habits and I have bonded with those unwise habits. so whenever we are breaking a bond of any sort it does hurt a little and feel uncomfortable.

On this past friday night DW was sitting at the dining room table and he had the notepad and pen and scribbling in silence. I knew it was about to get real scary real quick, but that the pain shouldn't last too long. Whew that was a mouthful. The kids were in bed and the time has come. Time to dig the CREDIT CARDS out of the wallet (not that I had to dig very far) and hand them over to the card slayer. All the cards!! I took pictures of this pivotal moment in our journey towards debt reduction because DW was so enjoying the job of "card slaying" and it wasn't as painful and scary as I thought it woud be. check out the pictures below and hope you too will think of your fianacial future and how it could different or let me know some steps you have already taken towards this endeavor.






Have a great day and God bless,

Christina

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh Christina...what a funny girl you are. i love this post...it is what many of us mom's think about when our husbands show signs of additional budgeting. i get a bit nervous when esquire pulls out the brown folder...i HATE that thing. mostly b/c the first time i really saw it was when we were deciding whether or not to try to get pregnant...he pulled out he icky thing and showed me how we just couldn't swing it for another few months...he had the usual fear that we would get pregnant at the first try...a fw weeks later he saw the error of his ways, you can never been totally prepared for a baby, just like you can't wait to go to town until all the lights are green...that's just not how decisions can be made. Nowadays I must say I do get used to the word BUDGET and it's not that i've hated the idea of it...but my Esquire is just very over dramatic about it all and that is what makes me nervous. ;-) i love budgets b/c it actually gives me freedom to spend $ that is allotted to me a particular fund w/o GUILT! i don't always stick with it but our budget is "friendly" enough that, TO ME, it seems like more of a suggestion than a rule. ;-) can you see why i don't handle the $ in our household...actually it stresses me out to the brink of tears so esquire took it over after we were only married for a few months.

good luck in your debt reduction...i feel like we've been on that kick since before we were married...but w/ LAW SCHOOL LOANS we are not going to be debt free 100% for a while! we have 2 car payments though and small credit card bills...small, meaning less than $1000. that was what we tackled first. ;-) now it's cars & student loans (which are like a small house...or a REALLY nice car!).

long, long, long comment...

*elizabeth

Vixbil said...

We are doing the exact same thing at the moment, we certainly didn't budget for having twins second time around and they are costing us a fortune what with everyday expenses also going up so much. About a stay at home business, I sell greeting cards from home and if you at all interested let me know and I can send you the link for the company so you can look at it. We have just launched in the US so there is loads of opportunities.
william-thomson@sky.com
Good luck with the debt reduction, keep going xx

Lisa said...

Good for you!
I am actually the budget, tight-wad spouse :) it is very hard these days with gas and groceries getting so high. My advice--go on a 'cash only' system. When you hand over $200 in cash to pay for groceries, it has a much bigger effect on you psyche then say handing a card; it also keeps you on task--if the bill is over $200, sorry you have take out something because all you have money for is the allotted $200.
Good luck--you can do it!

virginia said...

Good for you guys.We did that once and lived for years without a credit card and surprisingly had more money on hand and didn't feel the need for one.SHAME on DW for looking so gleefull.Could he smile any bigger?

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

I just stumbled across your blog...what a beautiful family you have! Just wanted to encourage you...we did the Dave Ramsey program 3 years ago and it was truly one of the best things we have ever done. It takes work and determination, but it's SO worth it in the end.

Also, congrats on your awesome weight loss! You are definitely an inspiration to me!

Keep it up, God bless! :)

katrina said...

Over comung debt is so hard to do. It's a step the hubby and I are trying to do and it seems like we go nowhere. We loved the pictures.

Purple Teacup said...

Good for you! The envelope system rocks! If only we would use it more....